Message Notes March 28, 2021
The Final Day
The Cross Part 2
33 When the sixth hour came, darkness fell over the whole land until the ninth hour. 34 At the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, “ELOI, ELOI, LAMA SABACHTHANI?” which is translated, “MY GOD, MY GOD, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?” 35 When some of the bystanders heard it, they began saying, “Behold, He is calling for Elijah.” 36 Someone ran and filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on a reed, and gave Him a drink, saying, “Let us see whether Elijah will come to take Him down.” 37 And Jesus uttered a loud cry, and breathed His last. 38 And the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. 39 When the centurion, who was standing right in front of Him, saw the way He breathed His last, he said, “Truly this man was the Son of God!”
When the sixth hour came, darkness fell over the whole land until the ninth hour.
(Amos 8:9, Micah 3:5-7, Zephaniah 1:14-15)
Darkness has been used as a sign of God’s judgement
1 Peter 2:24
and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.
In contrast, God’s glory illuminatedthe sky when Jesus was born
And an angel of the Lord suddenly stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them; and they were terribly frightened.
“ELOI, ELOI, LAMA SABACHTHANI?” (My God, My God, Why have you forsaken me?)
38 And the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.
The tearing of the veil made our relationship with God, Personal and Permanent
The veil, was a barrier between people and God. Just like sin is a barrier between people and God.
39 When the centurion, who was standing right in front of Him, saw the way He breathed His last, he said, “Truly this man was the Son of God!”
Jesus Took God’s Wrath So That We Do Not Have to
Small Group Questions
The Cross Pt. 2
- What is the very first thing that comes into your mind when you hear “the cross”. What does the cross mean to you?
- Read Mark 15:33-39, what do you think the significance is of the darkness that fell over the whole land?
- Read 1 Peter 2:24, how do we die to sin? How do we get healed by His wounds?
- Read Luke 2:9, what do you think is frightening about the glory of the Lord? Compare the light written of here with the darkness at Jesus’ death.
- In Mark 15:38 it speaks of the veil of the temple that was torn from top to bottom. Is this a significant event for our lives? Why or why not?
- In Mark 15:39, do you think the centurion’s statement is enough to prove he was converted to Christianity? Why or why not? What are some ways to explain the cross and Jesus’ sacrifice to non believers?