Fear less Joshua 1:1-9 10/11/20 Small Group Questions
- Read Joshua 1:1-9, God tells Joshua 3 times in the 9 verses to be strong and courageous 3 times as they get ready to enter into the Promised Land. Why do you think God puts such an emphasis on it? How would this same message apply in our lives today?
- What are some ways that fear creeps into our lives? Is there any way to stop it? What are some issues that can arise when fear takes over our judgments?
- Read Numbers 13:26-29, the spies that were sent into the Promised Land bring back a good report, at first and then the negativity sets in. If you turn on any news channel or any social media feed it seems saturated with negativity. Why, as a society, are we prone to highlight negative aspects and don’t typically give weight to the positive things that are going on? What are some things the Church can do to reverse the trend?
- The Israelites had seen many miracles performed both in Egypt while the Pharoah struggled to let them go and on the trip to the Promised Land. Wouldn’t it be easier for folks to believe in God if he performed more visible signs and wonders?
- Joshua had been Moses’ protégé for several years. It’s often hard to make the jump from assistant to being in charge. Why does change so often cause anxiety?
- Egypt in the Old Testament can be seen as a type of the world of sin that we lived in before coming to know Christ. What are some things that you have seen that have sent people backsliding to Egypt? Is there anything we can do to help them out?
- Read Romans 8:1-4, this is a verse we’ve read and heard many times. Is it easy to have total peace in this promise? Why or why not?