Praying with Paul
Wk 6 “Open Doors”
Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should.(NIV)
- Devote yourself to Prayer
Proskartereo– Constant, steadfast, perseverance
- Be Watchful AND Thankful
- Ask Others to Pray for You
And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains.
Ecclesiastes 4 9-12
9 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor:
10 If either of them falls down, one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.
11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?
12 Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
“… that God may open a door for our message.” (Colossians 4:3)
What is the, “mystery” Paul is talking about?
4 In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, 5 which was not made known to people in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets. 6 This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.
Small Group Question
- Read Colossians 4:2-4, why is it important that anything else does not creep into the gospel message? It seems like things like keeping the Sabbath and restricting your diet to Old Testament standards are not really bad things, how could they and other things that are not inherently bad interfere with the gospel message?
- What are some ways we can devote ourselves to prayer? Scripture tells us to pray without ceasing, how is that possible?
- Why would Paul ask for prayers for doors to be opened for the message while he was still in jail? How can we tell the difference between when God has put us under certain circumstances or in a certain situation and when we’ve diverged from where he wants us to be?
- Read Ecclesiastes 4: 9-12, why is it dangerous to “go it alone” spiritually?
- What is the mystery of Christ? Read Ephesians 3:4-6, why would this mystery not be made know to prior generations?
- Paul, perhaps one of the greatest evangelist ever to walk the face of the earth, was often locked up in prison, beaten, chased, received lashes that would often kill a person, why would God allow Paul to go through such trials?
- As Christians we are called to spread the message of Jesus. What are some things that might get in the way of us spreading the message?
- Is there someone God has called you to speak to about the gospel message that you’ve been hesitant to share with? Will you ask God for an open door if there is something in the way?