The Final Day
Wk 3, “How Painful is Your Sin
Rejoice greatly, Daughter Zion!
Shout, Daughter Jerusalem!
See, your king comes to you,
righteous and victorious,
lowly and riding on a donkey,
on a colt, the foal of a donkey.
- Missed the Messiah
Surely he took up our pain
and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God,
stricken by him, and afflicted.
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
and by his wounds we are healed.
Matthew 27: 27-33
Then the governor’s soldiers took Jesus into the Praetorium and gathered the whole company of soldiers around him. 28 They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him, 29 and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on his head. They put a staff in his right hand. Then they knelt in front of him and mocked him. “Hail, king of the Jews!” they said. 30 They spit on him, and took the staff and struck him on the head again and again. 31 After they had mocked him, they took off the robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him away to crucify him.
- We Need a Savior
And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.
But your iniquities have separated you from your God;
your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear.
- We have to choose to accept the gift
One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Small Group Questions
- Have you ever taken the blame for something someone else did? How defensive of yourself were you?
- Why do you think the gospel accounts don’t give us a lot of description in regards to the crucifixion?
- Read Zechariah 9:9, why do you think Jesus was foretold to come into Jerusalem on a donkey? Why does it seem like at first the Jews believed Jesus was the Messiah and then a week later they no longer did?
- Read Isaiah 53:4-5, why do you think Jesus had to suffer?
- Read Matthew 27:27-31, have you ever considered that Jesus died for your sin specifically?
- Read Isaiah 59:2, do you think we can come to a point where God will not hear us?
- What does the statement “Leave it at the cross.” mean to you?