The Fruit of the Spirit
Wk 3 Joy
- What is Joy
- Expressing Joy
- Growing in Joy
- What is Joy and Where does it Come From?
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
You make known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
My lips will shout for joy
when I sing praise to you—
I whom you have delivered.
1 John 1:1-4
That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched —this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us. We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ. We write this to make our joy complete.
1 Peter 1:8-9
Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
- Expressing Joy
We can express or show joy in several different ways.
1 Thessalonians 2:19-20
For what is our hope, our joy, or the crown in which we will glory in the presence of our Lord Jesus when he comes? Is it not you? Indeed, you are our glory and joy.
Ways to help others grow in their faith-
When I am afraid, I will trust in You
So we say with confidence,
“The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
What can mere mortals do to me?”
- Growing in Joy/Who You Are
Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!
Our Joy is Found in God, not our Circumstances.
Small Group Notes:
- Read James 1:2-3, what are some tests of faith that you have experienced? Were you able to “count it all joy”? In looking back on the experience can you see how God used it to grow your faith? What are some trials the early church was facing when James wrote this letter and what are some trials the modern church faces? Are they the same or totally different in your view?
- Read 1 John 1:1-4, what is meant by “make our joy complete”?
- Read 2 Thessalonians 2:19-20, how does serving others help to grow your own joy? How should Jesus’ suffering on the cross lead to joy for followers of Christ?
- What are some ways we express joy spiritually, physically, emotionally? Conversely, when we’re angry how is it expressed spiritually, physically, emotionally?
- Read Nehemiah 8:10, what are some of the ways that the joy of the Lord is shown as strength in our lives? Can we have true joy apart from God?