“The Fruit of the Spirit”
Wk 7 Faithfulness
2 Timothy 1:1-7
Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, in keeping with the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus, To Timothy, my dear son: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
I thank God, whom I serve, as my ancestors did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.
For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.
- We Overcome Fear and remain Faithful When We Lift Each Other Up
2 Timothy 1:3-4
I thank God, whom I serve, as my ancestors did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy.
To be a positive influence:
a. Gratitude- “I am Thankful for you.” (v.3 )
b. Faithfulness- “I’m Praying for you.” (vs 3)
c. Fellowship- “I’d like to spend some quality, face to face time with you. (vs 4)
d. Empathy- “I feel your pain, or I feel your joy” either are good (vs 4)
e. Blessing- “You are a blessing to me” or “My life is better because of you” (vs 4)
Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves
- Remember Jesus-
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
- Learn what your gifts are and use them.
1 Corinthians 12:7
Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.
There are all kinds of ways to serve.
1 Corinthians 12:8-11
To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.
- Rely on God’s Strength
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.
Application- How does all this work to make you more faithful?
- Be an Encourager
- Think Jesus
- Be a Doer
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
Choose Faith instead of Fear to Become More Faithful
Small Group Questions:
- Read 2 Timothy 1:1-7, how do you think Paul gets past his jail/possible death sentence to reach out to Timothy? Is it harder to pray for others when you may be in deep turmoil yourself?
- What are some ways which we can lift each other up? What are some of the opposites of this which could lead to bringing people down?
- When was the last time you told someone you were thankful for them or that they are a blessing in your life?
- What are some ways to overcome fear?
- 3 ways to increase faith from the sermon were to be an encourager, think about Jesus, and be a doer (not just listening to God’s word put putting it into practical action). What are some things that might get in the way of enacting each of these? What are some things that we can do to remove these obstacles?